Monday 18 November 2013

Professional Practice 4- The Essay Question

Provide a detailed critical analysis of a cultural text.

What is a cultural text
-anything produced by a culture; a central core study e.g. a garment, film, music, video, magazine, tattoo, painting, computer, mascara, etc.
What does critical analysis mean.
-to approach the topic methodically
- evidence of what other people have to say for and against
-positioning yourself in this
Analysis- a well-rounded balanced investigation. One that is well researched, methodical, logically structured and clearly articulated.

The essay has got to be 1200 words and after attending the Study Skills lecture today I realised that it is not simply having a full systematic research and writing on the subject chosen but also  adding all these references following the Harvard UWE system and maintaining a bibliography.

As homework we are to consider what cultural text we might choose to study and write about for our essay.
So here I am putting my initial thoughts on a cultural text I might choose to write about.

During my recent visit to Paris I visited the Louvre and amongst everything else I went to see the Mona Lisa as well. There have been so many controversial theories about this painting and its model that I just had to see it in person. As I entered  this large room with double height ceiling and very large paintings on the walls, I noticed  a crowd of people gathered in front of the wall at the far end. My curiosity drew me magnetically to this crowd to find out . It was the famous Mona Lisa painting by Da Vinci. The painting which is not really very large was displayed on this  wall with a barrier in front so you could not get up close. There were lots of cameras clicking away but hardly anyone was actually viewing the art.  I got pulled and pushed in this crowd and can't deny I took some photographs myself too. This one below is what I managed to take.
 I think I would like to research on this famous painting by such an intelligent artist .

No comments:

Post a Comment